Monday, May 4, 2009

The Winters of Rexburg, and Other Harsh Times

Everyone knows it: Rexburg is cold. It seems as though on January 23 the temperature was minus twenty. Yes, it's true. It was the first time since the 1990s. That day my sister, who is three years old--you might have heard of her in old posts I've put on my blog--, she had preschool that day. I bet half her class wasn't there. I only went out two or three times that day. The second time I went out I had just four coats on and some insulated overalls. And a pair of hiking boots I got at the beginning of the school year back in August. Now in 2009, it's that time of year again. Things are greening up, it's raining like crazy. Yes, it's May. It shouldn't be raining. The saying says "April showers bring May flowers." But I believe next year we'll have that ocassional seven feet of snow followed by five feet of ice. When I woke up on the minus twenty morning, I went upstairs at about 6:30 in the morning. My dad had just gotten out of the shower and he told me what the temperature was, and he said "you won't go to school." Then I went and sat on the couch for about an hour. Then I went downstairs and I got dressed--my usual morning except for no shower, no school. It was on a Tuesday. I remember the exact day of the week because we had school the day before.

My sister has gained a little more bigness, but there are some things she does a lot--daily, actually. She whines like a maniac. That's Hazel. But Ruby isn't annoying. Ruby can crawl now. That's the end.

No comments: